Dr Katrina Spilsbury
BSc PhD MBiostats(Syd), PostGrad Dip PH(WAust)
|Position||Senior Research Fellow|
|Department||CHIRI - Population Health Research|
|Phone||+618 9266 1850|
|Fax||+618 9266 1866|
Doctor Katrina Spilsbury is a Senior Research Fellow and currently Director of the WA Safety and Quality of Surgical Care Project based within the Centre for Population Health Research in CHIRI.
Katrina is an experienced analyst of linked health data from the WA Data Linkage System and has published numerous peer-reviewed articles investigating the epidemiology of both short and long term patient outcomes following surgical procedures. She is particularly skilled in the analysis of longitudinal studies that have follow-up data on patients that spans many years. She has a Masters of Biostatistics degree through the Biostatistical Collaboration of Australia. Her biostatistical skill base includes analysis of longitudinal and correlated data, survival analysis, Generalised Linear Models, methods of clinical agreement, statistical process control, design and analysis of randomised clinical trials, and analysis of survey data.Back to top
Memberships, Awards and Training
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the International Data Linkage Conference 2011 (2010-present);
- Member of the WA Department of Health Human Research Ethics Committee (2010-present).
I have supervised Honours and Masters student and have done some sessional lecturing in molecular biology.Back to top
In collaboration with surgeons interested in research, Katrina uses population-level administrative data, supplemented by hospital chart review when required, to estimate short and long term patient safety and health outcomes following admission to Western Australian hospitals.
Katrina's main research interest is investigating the social, demographic and clinical factors associated with differences in patient outcomes in the health care system.
Some current projects include:
Complications following tonsillectomy surgery;
Risk factors associated with developing cholesteatoma after grommet insertions;
The association between rates of car crashes and the timing of cataract surgery in older drivers;
Rates of sepsis following splenectomies in WA.
Journal Articles (Research)
- Zilkens, R. R., W. A. Davis, K. Spilsbury, J. B. Semmens, and D. G. Bruce. 2013. “Earlier age of dementia onset and shorter survival times in dementia patients with diabetes.” American Journal of Epidemiology 177 (11): 1246-1254.
- Crewe, J. M., N. Morlet, W. H. Morgan, K. Spilsbury, S. A. Mukhtar, A. Clark, and J. B. Semmens. 2013. “Mortality and hospital morbidity of working-age blind.” British Journal of Ophthalmology 97: 1579-1585.
- Crewe, J. M., G. Lam, A. Clark, K. Spilsbury, S. A. Mukhtar, N. Morlet, W. H. Morgan, M. Crowley, and J. B. Semmens. 2013. “Hospitalization rates of children who are blind.” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 41: 773-778.
- Spilsbury, K., J. F. Ha, J. B. Semmens, and F. J. Lannigan. 2013. “Cholesteatoma in cleft lip and palate: A population based follow-up study of children post ventilation tubes.” The Laryngoscope 123 (8): 2024-2029.
- Duke, J., F. Wood, J. B. Semmens, D. Edgar, K. Spilsbury, A. Willis, D. V. Hendrie, and S. Rea. 2012. “Rates of hospitalisations and mortality of older adults admitted with burn injuries in Western Australia from 1983 to 2008.” Australasian Journal on Ageing 31 (2): 83-89.
- Duke, J., F. Wood, J. B. Semmens, D. Edgar, K. Spilsbury, and S. Rea. 2012. “An assessment of burn injury hospitalisations of adolescents and young adults in Western Australia, 1983-2008.” Burns 38: 128-135.
- Crewe, J. M., W. H. Morgan, N. Morlet, K. Spilsbury, S. A. Mukhtar, A. Clark, J. Q. Ng, M. Crowley, and J. B. Semmens. 2011. “Assessing the diagnostic validity of a blind register.” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 39 (6): 494-500.
- Crewe, J. M., N. Morlet, W. H. Morgan, K. Spilsbury, S. A. Mukhtar, A. Clark, J. Q. Ng, M. Crowley, and J. B. Semmens. 2011. “Quality of life of the most severely vision-impaired.” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 39: 336-343.
- Lau, K. C., K. Spilsbury, Y. Farooque, S. B. Kariyawasam, R. G. Owen, M. H. Wallace, and G. B. Makin. 2011. “Is colonoscopy still mandatory after a CT diagnosis of left-handed diverticulitis: can colorectal cancer be confidently excluded?.” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 54 (10): 1265-1270.
- Duke, J., F. Wood, J. B. Semmens, K. Spilsbury, D. Edgar, D. V. Hendrie, and S. Rea. 2011. “A 26-Year Population-Based Study of Burn Injury Hospital Admissions in Western Australia.” Journal of Burn Care & Research 32 (3): 379-386.
- Norman, P. E., K. Spilsbury, and J. B. Semmens. 2011. “Falling rates of hospitalization and mortality from abdominal aortic aneurysms in Australia.” Journal of Vascular Surgery 53 (2): 274-277.
- Duke, J., F. Wood, J. B. Semmens, D. Edgar, K. Spilsbury, D. V. Hendrie, and S. Rea. 2011. “A Study of Burn Hospitalizations for Children Younger Than 5 Years of Age: 1983-2008.” Pediatrics 127 (4): e971-e977.
- Guggisberg, M., A. Larsen, C. Fisher, K. Spilsbury, R. R. Zilkens, and J. B. Semmens. 2010. “Danger Signs: Ethnicity, Relationship Status and Lethal Threats Associated with Intimate Partner Violence.” Australian Journal of Gender and Law 1.
- Jiwa, M., E. maujean, K. Spilsbury, and T. Threlfal. 2010. “The trajectory of lung cancer patients in Western Australia - a data linkage study: Still a grim tale.” Lung Cancer 70 (1): 22-27.
- Jiwa, M., C. O'shea, G. Merriman, G. K. Halkett, and K. Spilsbury. 2010. “Psychosexual problems in general practice: measuring consultation competence using two different measures.” Quality in Primary Care 18 (4): 243-250.
- Jiwa, M., K. Spilsbury, and J. Duke. 2010. “Do pharmacists know which patients with bowel symptoms should seek further medical advice? A survey of pharmacists practicing in community pharmacy in western australia.” The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 44: 910-917.
- Spilsbury, K., I. Miller, J. B. Semmens, and F. J. Lannigan. 2010. “Factors associated with developing Cholesteatoma: a study of 45,980 children with middle ear disease.” The Laryngoscope 120 (3): 625-630.
- Xia, J., F. H. Evans, K. Spilsbury, V. Ciesielski, C. Arrowsmith, and G. L. Wright. 2010. “Market segments based on the dominant movement patterns of tourists.” Tourism Management 31 (4): 464-469.
- Jiwa, M., K. N. Deas, J. Ross, T. Shaw, H. Wilcox, and K. Spilsbury. 2009. “An inclusive approach to raising standards in general practice: working with a 'community of practice' in Western Australia.” BMC Medical Research Methodology 9 (13): 1-8.
- Jiwa, M., R. K. McKinley, K. Spilsbury, H. Arnet, and M. Smith. 2009. “Deploying a clinical innovation in the context of actor-patient consultations in general practice: A prelude to a formal clinical trial.” BMC Medical Research Methodology 9 (54): 1-9.
- Jiwa, M., R. K. McKinley, C. O'shea, H. Arnet, K. Spilsbury, and M. Smith. 2009. “Investigating the impact of extraneous distractions on consultations in general practice: Lessons learned.” BMC Medical Research Methodology 9 (8): 1-6.
- Van Minnen, K., K. Spilsbury, J. Q. Ng, N. Morlet, J. Xia, and J. B. Semmens. 2009. “Changing patterns of access to cataract surgery: A population study spanning 22 years.” Health & Place 15 (1): 394-398.
- Zilkens, R. R., K. Spilsbury, D. G. Bruce, and J. B. Semmens. 2009. “Clinical epidemiology and in-patient hospital use in the last year of life (1990-2005) of 29,884 Western Australians with dementia.” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 17: 399-407.
- Spilsbury, K., I. Hammond, M. Bulsara, and J. B. Semmens. 2008. “Morbidity outcomes of 78 577 hysterectomies for benign reasons over 23 years.” BJOG: an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology 115: 1473-1483.
- Clark, A., J. Q. Ng, N. Morlet, E. Tropiano, P. Mahendran, K. Spilsbury, D. B. Preen, and J. B. Semmens. 2008. “Quality of Life after Postoperative Endophthalmitis.” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 36: 526-531.
- Zilkens, R. R., K. Spilsbury, D. G. Bruce, and J. B. Semmens. 2008. “Linkage of Hospital and Death Records Increased Identification of Dementia Cases and Death Rate Estimates.” Methods in Neuroepidemiology 32: 61-69.
- Kadhim, A. L., K. Spilsbury, J. B. Semmens, H. L. Coates, and F. J. Lannigan. 2007. “Adenoidectomy for middle ear effusion: A study of 50 000 Children over 24 years.” The Laryngoscope 117: 427-433.
- Spilsbury, K., A. L. Kadhim, J. B. Semmens, and F. J. Lannigan. 2006. “Decreasing rates of middle ear surgery in Western Australian children.” Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 132: 1216-1220.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, C. Saunders, and C. J. Holman. 2006. “Response to Gough.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 76: 95-95.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, I. Hammond, and A. Bolck. 2006. “Persistent high rates of hysterectomy in Western Australia: a population-based study of 83,000 procedures over a 23 years.” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 113: 804-809.
- Preen, D. B., C. J. Holman, K. Spilsbury, J. B. Semmens, and K. Brameld. 2006. “Length of comorbidity lookback period affected regression model performance of administrative health data.” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 59: 940-946.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, C. Saunders, and C. J. Holman. 2005. “Long term survival outcomes following breast cancer surgery in Western Australia.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 75: 625-630.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, C. Saunders, S. Hall, and C. J. Holman. 2005. “Subsequent surgery after initial breast conserving surgery: A population based study.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 75: 260-264.
- Hahnel, R., and K. Spilsbury. 2004. “Oestrogen receptors revisited: Long-term follow up of over 5000 breast cancer patients.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 74: 957-960.
- Hall, S., C. J. Holman, D. Hendrie, and K. Spilsbury. 2004. “Unequal access to breast conserving surgery in Western Australia, 1982-2000.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 74: 413-419.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, S. Z. Wisniewski, and C. J. Holman. 2003. “Routine circumcision practice in Western Australia: 1981-1999.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 73: 610-614.
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, S. Z. Wisniewski, and C. J. Holman. 2003. “Circumcisions for phimosis and other medical indications in Western Australian boys.” Medical Journal of Australia 178: 155-158.
- Lai, C. M., K. Spilsbury, M. Brankov, T. Zaknich, and P. E. Rakoczy. 2002. “Inhibition of corneal neovascularization by recombinant adenovirus mediated antisense VEGF RNA.” Experimental Eye Research 75: 625-634.
- Chavand, O., K. Spilsbury, and P. E. Rakocsy. 2001. “Addition of a c-myc epitope tag within the VEGF protein does not affect in vitro biological activity.” Biochemistry 79: 107-112.
Additional publication categories
Journal Articles (Scholarly/Professional)
- Spilsbury, K., J. B. Semmens, I. Hammond, and M. K. Bulsara. 2009. “Morbidity outcomes of 78 577 hysterectomies for benign reasons over 23 years.” BJOG: an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology 116 (5): 734-735.