Prospective research students
The School of Psychology and Speech Pathology offers doctoral (PhD) level research programs in Psychology, Clinical Psychology1 , Counselling Psychology2 and Human Communication Science (Speech Pathology), as well as Master of Philosophy research programs in Psychology and Human Communication Science (Speech Pathology).
With excellent supervision by researchers of international standing you can contribute to important programs of research in the areas of Mental Health, Cognitive Neurosciences, Developmental and Life-Span Psychology, Community Psychology, and Human Communication Sciences and Disorders. Discover new knowledge or undertake translational research to improve health outcomes and solve real-life problems.
Our Higher Degree by Research programs lead to rewarding careers in research and the strong applied focus at Curtin means that graduates are highly sought after in many public and private heath related fields and organizations.
Currently available research projects within the School
Project Theme: Prevention and Treatment of Psychological Disorders
- A randomised controlled trial of Group Metacognitive Therapy for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.pdf [64KB]
- Aussie Optimism: Internet-based Training for Child Mental Health.pdf [76KB]
Project Theme: Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Music and consumer behaviour.pdf [70KB]
- Musical taste, attachment, and well-being.pdf [80KB]
- Violent music lyrics and violent behaviour.pdf [71KB]
- The effect of respiratory and phonatory strength training on speech motor control for people with dysarthria associated with Parkinson’s disease.pdf [74KB]
- Narrative intervention in aphasia: Exploring the interaction between levels of language in therapy.pdf [23KB]
- Emotion Recognition in the Systemising and Empathising Brain.pdf [82KB]
Project Theme: Health, Populations, Environment and Behaviour
- Effect of Chewing Glucose Infused and Sugar-Free Gum on Willpower.pdf [70KB]
- The Effect of Red on Self-Control.pdf [70KB]
- You Motivate Me! The Vicarious Experience of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation.pdf [61KB]
- Perfectionism and Willpower: Evidence that Perfectionists are Resistant to Deleterious Effects of Self-Control Resource Depletion.pdf [70KB]
For specific information relating to the Higher Degree by Research courses offered within the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology, please contact Dr Neville Hennessey at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any general queries regarding the Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy degrees at Curtin University, including admission requirements and procedures, please visit http://www.curtin.edu.au/research/futurestudents/index.cfm
You can also contact the Health Sciences Graduate Studies team directly on +61 8 9266 7652 or email email@example.com
1Doctoral program has a coursework component that provides for professional preparation equivalent to the APAC-accredited Master of Clinical Psychology program. Applicants must also apply for the Master of Clinical Psychology.
2Doctoral program has a coursework component that provides for professional preparation equivalent to the APAC-accredited Master of Counselling Psychology program. Applicants must also apply for the Master of Counselling Psychology.