Dr Vicki Drury
PhD (Monash), MClNsg (CSturt), PGCertPsychNsg (RMIT), CertMen'sHlth (Curtin), BA(Ed) (Curtin), BHlthSc(Nsg) (WACAE)
Vicki holds a Visiting Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Ophthalmology at the National University of Singapore and collaborates on a number of projects with colleagues from the University of Leeds. She reviews for a number of international journals and is amember of the Western Australian Country Health Service Research ethics Committee.
Vicki Drury has recently moved from Singapore to Australia where she is an Associate Professor in the School of Nursing and Midwifery at Curtin University. She has considerable experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of novel disease specific self-management interventions. Her research interests focus on patients with long term conditions and she specialises in interventions that improve clinical outcomes and improve quality of life. She initially trained as a Registered General Nurse and then completed post graduate qualifications in mental health nursing, ophthalmic nursing and men's health. She holds a Bachelor of Education as well as a Bachelor of Nursing, Master of Clinical Nursing (Mental Health) and a PhD in nursing.Back to top
Memberships, Awards and Training
- Member, Australian and New Zealand College of Mental Health Nurses.
- Member, Australian Association of Ophthalmic Nurses
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing , Upsilon Eta Chapter, Singapore.
- Perth Convention Bureau Conference Development Award: Burswood Entertainment Complex Medical Research Scholarship 2006.
- Faculty Teaching Award, Edith Cowan University, 2005.
- HE Harris scholarship 2004.
- Health Department of Western Australia scholarships 1995 and 1998.
- Registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulating Agency as a Registered Nurse. Registration number NMW0001549796. Competent to work in general or mental health settings.
- Registered as a General and Mental Health Nurse with the Singapore Nursing Board. Registration number G6260996L. Registered as an Adult Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council United Kingdom. Registration number 7111095E.
June 2012 - present Associate Professor, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Curtin University, Perth
Dec 2011 - present Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
July 2011- April 2012 Associate Professor, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia (WA).
2009-2011 Assistant Professor, Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
2008-2009 Research Fellow, Centre for Research in Society and Disability, Curtin University, Perth, WA.
2007 - 2008 Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing, Murdoch University, Perth, WA.
2001 - 2007 Lecturer/Acting Senior Lecturer, Edith Cowan University, Bunbury, WA.
1998 - 2001 Clinical Nurse Specialist, Mental Health, South West Mental Health Service, Bunbury, WA.
1990 - 1998 Advanced Skills Lecturer, South West Regional College of TAFE, Bunbury, WA.
1984 - 1990 Registered Nurse, Bunbury Regional Hospital, Bunbury, WA.
1981 - 1984 Registered Nurse, Gove District Hospital, Nhulunbuy, NT.
1976 - 1978 Registered Nurse, Brisbane, Qld.
1974 - 1976 Regiustered Nurse, Sydney, NSW.
1971 - 1974 Student Nurse, Royal prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW.Back to top
Research Project Development 600
Research project 600Back to top
Chronic disease self-management
Mental HealthBack to top
Mental HealthBack to top
Journal Articles (Research)
- Dharani, R., C. F. Lee, Z. X. Theng, V. B. Drury, C. Ngo, M. Sandar, T. Y. Wong, E. A. Finkelstein, and S. M. Saw. 2012. “Comparison of measurements of time outdoors and light levels as risk factors for myopia in young Singapore children.” Eye 26 (7): 911-918.
- Koh, Y., D. G. Hegney, and V. B. Drury. 2012. “Nurses' perceptions of risk from emerging respiratory infectious diseases: A Singapore study.” International Journal of Nursing Practice 18: 195-204.
- Drury, V. B., S. Mackey, and K. P. Tay. 2012. “The feasibility and acceptability of a low vision self-management programme for older Singaporeans: a pilot study.” International Journal of Ophthalmic Practice 3 (5): 189-193.
- Li, J. M., V. B. Drury, and B. J. Taylor. 2012. “The experiences of and meaning for women living and coping with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review of qualitative evidence.” JBI Library of Systematic Reviews 10 (47): 2998-3047.
- Tiew, L. H., and V. B. Drury. 2012. “Singapore Nursing Students' Perceptions and Attitudes about Spirituality and spiritual care in Practice.” Journal of Holistic Nursing 30 (3): 160-169.
- Koh, Y., V. B. Drury, and D. G. Hegney. 2011. “A comprehensive systematic review of healthcare workers’ perceptions of risk from exposure to emerging acute respiratory infectious diseases and the perceived effectiveness of strategies used to facilitate healthy coping in acute hospital and community healthcare settings.” International Journal of Evidence Based Health Care 9 (4): 403-419.
- Yiwen, K., D. G. Hegney, and V. B. Drury. 2010. “A comprehensive systematic review of healthcare workers’ perceptions of risk from exposure to emerging acute respiratory infectious diseases and the perceived effectiveness of strategies used to facilitate healthy coping in acute hospital and community healthcare settings.” JBI Library of Systematic Reviews 8 (23): 917-971.
- Drury, V. B., K. Francis, and Y. Chapman. 2008. “Mature learners becoming registered nurses: a grounded theory model.” Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 26 (2): 39-45.
- Drury, V. B., K. Francis, and Y. Chapman. 2008. “Letting go and moving on: A grounded theory analysis of disengaging from university and becoming a registered nurse.” Nurse Education Today 28: 783-789.
- Drury, V. B., K. Francis, and Y. Chapman. 2008. “Where Have All the Young Ones Gone: Implications for the Nursing Workforce.” Online Journal of Issues in Nursing 14 (1).
- Drury, V. B., K. Francis, and Y. Chapman. 2008. “The crusade -- a metatphysical explication of the journey made by mature female undergraduate nursing students.” Rural and Remote Health 8 (978): 1-13.
Additional publication categories
Journal Articles (Scholarly/Professional)
- Drury, V. B. 2012. “Review: An overview of the effectiveness of psychological therapy for depression and stepped care service delivery models.” Journal of Research in Nursing 18 (2): 185-186.
- Tiew, L. H., V. B. Drury, and D. K. Creedy. 2011. “Singapore nursing students' perceptions about spirituality and spiritual care: a qualitative study.” BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 1: 84-84.
- Drury, V. B., K. Francis, and Y. Chapman. 2008. “Taking the First Step: A Grounded Theory Study of the First Stage of Becoming a Registered Nurse.” Singapore Nursing Journal 35 (1): 4-10.
International Journal of Health Research
Reviewer for the following journals:
Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing.
Journal of Mixed Methods Research
Rural and Remote Health.
International Journal of Health Research.
The Open Psychology Journal.
Canadian Journal of Nursing Research.
Supportive Care in Cancer.
Qualitative Health Research
International Scientific panel – member since 2008. RCN International Nursing Research Conference (UK).Back to top