Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine Group
The Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine Group aims to examine the psychological factors that are associated with health-related behaviour and develop interventions that will promote health in the general population and populations with clinical or chronic conditions.
- Conduct pioneering experimental and applied theory-based research on health-related behaviour.
- Lead and collaborate on national and international research projects using psychological techniques to promote and change health behaviour.
- Disseminate research findings broadly to academic and practitioner groups.
- Engage practitioners and stakeholders to translate research evidence into effective behavioural interventions and health promotion practice.
- Mentor students and early-career researchers on programs of research in health psychology and behavioural medicine.
- Contribute to intellectual debate on priority issues in applied health psychology and behavioural medicine.
HPBM group members
Please contact members if you are interested in conducting honours or postgraduate research with us.
Senior Lecturers/Senior Research Fellows
Staff in other schools at Curtin
- Dimitrios Adam
- Nikita Bhavsar
- Lauren Brooke
- Rachel Carr
- Kim Caudwell
- Sviatlana Kamarova
- Marlene Kritz
- Nick Lee
- Robin Lines
- Alina Thompson
Research Assistants and Visting Researchers
- Brad Hall
- Ruth Tatnell
- Amelia Turrell
- Prof Charles Abraham, University of Exeter
- Dr Derwin Chan, University of Hong Kong
- Dr Kyra Hamilton, Griffith University
- Rebecca Johnson, Telethon
- Prof Sheina Orbell, University of Essex
- Dr Cleo Protogerou, University of Cape Town
- Dr Amanda Rebar, Central Queensland University
- Prof Corneel Vandelanotte, Central Queensland University
- Dr Sophie Yang, Sichuan University
Our projects identify the important conceptual and theoretical underpinnings of health behaviour and applied intervention research with the aim of promoting health and adaptive clinical outcomes.
- Ego-depletion registered replication report (Hagger, Chatzisarantis).
- Alcohol and binge-drinking/pre-loading behaviours (Caudwell, Hagger). Access article at Wiley Online
- Intervention to promote physical activity and healthy eating in obese adults (Hattar, Hagger). Access article at Wiley Online
- Self-control intervention to reduce alcohol consumption (Wong, Hagger). Access article at Biomed Centre
- A theory-based multi-disciplinary behavioural intervention to promote physical activity and healthy eating in overweight and obese adolescents (Fenner, Hagger). Access article at Curtin Library
- Meta-analysis of common sense model: Mechanisms (Koch, Hagger)
- Psychological predictors of anti-doping intentions in young athletes (Chan, Hagger)
- Attitudes and beliefs of smokers regarding plain packaging (Hagger, Chan, Caudwell, Hardcastle, Chatzisarantis). Access article at Springer Online
- Beliefs of Familial Hypercholesterolemia patients toward screening and self-management (Hagger, Hardcastle). Access article at Springer Online
- Predictors of antiretroviral adherence amongst HIV+ South African adolescents (Boyes)
- Workplace walking interventions (Thøgersen-Ntoumani)
- Personal, contextual and environmental determinants of physical activity in older adults residing in assisted living centres (Thøgersen-Ntoumani, Ntoumanis)
- Health and well-being in older manual workers aged 50+ (Thøgersen-Ntoumani)
- Creating adaptive motivational environments in fitness settings (Ntoumanis, Thøgersen-Ntoumani, Eleanor Quested)
- The role of the physical environment in supporting personal motivation for physical activity (Thøgersen-Ntoumani)
- Promoting physical activity and physical functioning in osteoarthritis patients (Ntoumanis)
- Creating optimal motivational environments in physical education classes (Ntoumanis)
- Substance abuse in sport and the role of motivational factors (Ntoumanis, Gucciardi)
- The effects of front-of-pack food labelling systems and health claims on consumers’ food-related beliefs and behaviours (Pettigrew)
- A public health analysis of gambling marketing activities: Themes, targets, and impacts (Pettigrew)
- Investigating the health benefits of volunteering by seniors (Pettigrew)
- Establishing the best front-of-pack labelling system for Australian foods (Pettigrew)
- Television advertising to promote NHMRC Guidelines for low risk alcohol consumption (Pettigrew)